Artificial intelligence (AI) has been developing in rapid succession in the past decade, and it has reached a point where even some complex tasks can be done with the help of AI.
Video editing is one such instance where artificial intelligence can be used. The concept is simple, just like a human AI will learn from its mistakes and eventually build itself to create precise, smooth, and usable videos.
While this sounds concerning to the people who work as video editors, we will always require human inputs to add creativity and innovation. Hence, though artificial intelligence is getting smart enough to replace humans in their tasks, the point of replacing humans is still very far.
While we dive deeper into artificial intelligence and editing, let’s understand what is AI editing?
AI video editing is a technique that automates all mechanical processes. Using these techniques, even a novice person can create videos that feel professional.
These tools use the scientific advancements in AI to precisely understand how to filter out unwanted audio, create smooth video transitions and add audio in the background that seamlessly merges with the video. AI also helps in trimming videos. These actions will ensure that the output created will be of good quality.
AI in video editing:
Most people are not even aware of the AI tool algorithms used in YouTube videos. It is a unique software made by Alphabet’s AI-focused group which automatically modifies the videos to make them easily understandable to a diverse group of people.
The program gathers information through different sources like movies, other videos and web series and identifies the nuances, references and labels that people from a cultural background would not comprehend. It then rearranges the visual context, language and cultural nuances to make them understandable.
This can be considered a milestone advancement in the field of AI in video making, and such advancements will only make AI video editing easier and easier.
Benefits of using AI in video editing:
– Artificial intelligence can choose the right camera angles, shots and editing styles to create impactful content.
– It can create custom movements, transitions and filters that enhance the scene or the visual in your video
– Basic editing knowledge is enough to command your AI software to make a video, and you don’t need the in-depth knowledge anymore.
– Since the AI can systematically organise footage, humans can use this software to minimise their work
– AI can learn from other videos and adjust the video accordingly.
– All these procedures are automated and done in a blink of an eye, making the whole editing process fast and efficient.
– Video trimmer AI software can create smooth cuts and easy transitions
– AI takes care of all the repetitive, boring work so humans can work on the creative bits of video editing.
– By suggesting appropriate changes to the video editor, AI can help make interesting videos.
– Scale identification and colour correction, which usually take a lot of time and effort, can be automated using AI for editing.
– The overall process can be sped up because video editing can take as low as 1/3rd of the time.
Because AI can learn from other videos, movies etc., it can make your clip more interesting and engaging.
– AI can be used to locate the most appropriate clips and pictures in the film.
AI helps curate video footage automatically:
One of the first recorded uses of AI for video editing was when IBM’s Watson used its supercomputing abilities to make a trailer for the movie Morgan. Watson analysed all the prior trailers and learned to curate sequences from the movie that would be appropriate for the trailer.
The presentation demonstrated how effective artificial intelligence is in curating the sequences and creating a trailer. A human spends hours or sometimes days to curate and finalise the sequences they would use in the trailer, but in the case of AI, the entire process is done in a few minutes.
Since then, different AI software has been created and employed in learning the editing process. In some cases, like google clips, the AI chooses to shoot a specific clip as per the requirement of the video, and that is used to create a video – without any human intervention.
Intelligent and automated tools:
Other than video curation, AI can be used for video editing in many other disciplines. A process like a video cutting can also be automated through AI, where a video trimmer is required to make precise cuts between scenes.
Because AI can interpret films, it can be used in colour calibration, object elimination, visual effects, picture stabilisation etc. Many of these tools are already being used to reduce human work and speed up the editing process.
It is expected that we will see editing software that will work as an end-to-end software and do all the work by itself in the next few years. In that case, video editing will become dramatically easier, and even the newbies will be able to create wonderful videos.
Fully automated video editing tools:
You may have realised that AI is completely revolutionising the video editing space. While it is only being used to minimise human work, the day isn’t very far when the AI will do the entire process. In such cases, the human contribution will be limited to selecting preferences and specifying commands.
Until then, consider AI to be a tool that works closely with humans and can minimise a lot of human work in the process of video editing.
Artificial intelligence is reshaping the entire video editing ecosystem, and we can see that the entire process will be automated in the coming few years. The industry has already employed software that compliments human work, and engineers in the field of AI are conquering new milestones every single day.
Eventually, all we want to do is make impactful films, and AI will be a game-changer in the field of editing.